Passport Renewal

Passport Renewal
Passport Renewal

Passport Renewal Overview:

You are eligible to process a passport renewal if you have a 10-year passport that has been expired for less than 5 years. If your passport has two years validity left. A renewal form along with required documents can be mailed directly to the department of state or you may use a Passport  agency to help with completing your renewal and hand-carry to the Department of State.

Passport Renewal Requirements:

  • Typed DS-82 form with 2D barcode
  • Your previously issued, undamaged, valid Passport
  • 2 passport sized Photos
  • Check or Money Order for Government Fee
  • *If expediting: Copy of travel itinerary (Plane ticket, Hotel reservation, Company letter with letterhead)
  • *If using a Third party service you must complete a letter of authorization provided by the courier company

Government Fees:

  • Standard Adult Passport Book: $110.00
  • Standard Adult Passport Card: $30.00
  • Standard Adult Passport Book & Card: $140.00
  • Expedite Fee (if applicable):  $60.00

Complete the application:

Where to apply:

Renewing a passport is easy. You can complete the DS-82 application online or hand write the application. You can mail your documents directly to the Passport Processing Center or use a third party service to help you process documents for faster service.

Routine Passport Service:

Routine passport service takes 4-6 weeks through your post office. You may also expedite your passport renewal for three-week service for an additional fee of $60.

Post Office:

  • Pick up an application at the post office or download the application here
  • Complete application with a black ink pen only, by hand
  • Submit 1 passport photo
  • Mail DS-82 application, passport photo, expired passport or soon to be expired passport, and a check or money order.

Mail the completed application to:

National Passport Processing Center
Post Office Box 90155
Philadelphia, PA 19190

It is strongly recommended that you mail your passport application and personal documents in an envelope large enough to fit the application without folding. Please do not use a standard letter-size #10 (4 1/8″ x 9 1/2″) envelope. This will help to protect the contents of your mailing from the elements throughout the delivery process.

Expedite Passport Service:

It is possible to get your passport faster than the routine service. You can also expedite through your local post office for the additional government fee of $60.

Write “EXPEDITE” clearly on the outside of the mailing envelope. Be sure to include the required government fees for the expediting service.  Mail the completed application and documents to:

National Passport Processing Center
Post Office Box 90955
Philadelphia, PA 19190

While the Post Office offers 3-week service, that may not be fast enough if you have upcoming travel plans. You can expedite using a private passport service. A ‘Registered Passport Courier Service’ may be able to secure your passport within 1 business day if necessary.

Another option to expedite your passport is through a Regional Passport Agency.


Expedite at Regional Agency:

There are Regional Passport Agencies in many major cities across the country. You can expedite your passport at a Regional Passport Agency if you can make an appointment within 14 days of your travel date. You may call to schedule an appointment at: 877-910-7277

You will need to bring all of the required documents listed above.

Additional Requirements:

If the passport book is damaged, you will need to submit a “damage statement”explaining the circumstances of the passport damage. If the damage is too severe, the Passport Agency may reject your application for a renewal and you will need to apply for a New Passport.

Common Questions:

Q. Can I renew a child passport?

A. If your passport was issued when you were 15 or younger, you cannot renew that passport. You will need to apply for a New Passport now. A child passport is only valid for 5 years. An adult passport is valid for 10 years.