Name Change

DS-5504 Change Data On Passport

 Passport Name Change Overview:

In order to change your name on a U.S. passport, there are a few steps to take. The entire process typically takes four to six weeks, though it can be expedited for an additional fee.

The first step is to get the relevant documents together. Everyone who applies by mail for a name change on their passport is required to submit their current passport, a regulation passport photo, and proof of their name change, such as a marriage certificate, court order, or other document issued by the government officially recording the change. It must be an original or certified copy, and if you mail in your application you will get the document returned to you with your new passport.

The second step is to fill out the appropriate passport form. If your passport was issued within the last year and your name has been legally changed by a court order or through marriage, you are required to fill out form DS-5504, which is the Application for a U.S. Passport: Name Change, Data Correction, and Limited Passport Book Replacement. If your passport was issued more than one year ago and your name has been legally changed by a court order or through marriage, you are required to fill out form DS-82, Application for a U.S. Passport by Mail.

Once you have the four documents together, you can send them to the address listed on the appropriate form. Note that a standard fee, listed on form DS-82, is charged for anyone changing their name on a passport issued more than one year ago.

For those who cannot legally document their name change with a marriage license or other official document issued by the government, an application must be submitted in person to an official passport agency or local acceptance facility. The application package includes a copy of your current U.S. passport, a regulation passport photo, at least three public records with your place and date of birth proving exclusive use of your new name for at least five years, and form DS-11, Application for a U.S. Passport. The fee for this application is the same as applying for a passport for the first time and is enumerated on form DS-11.

Passport Name Change Requirements:

  • Typed DS-82 form with 2D barcode
  • Your previously issued, undamaged, valid Passport
  • 2 passport sized Photos
  • Check or Money Order for Government Fee
  • *If expediting: Copy of travel itinerary (Plane ticket, Hotel reservation, Company letter with letterhead)
  • *If using a Third party service you must complete a letter of authorization provided by the courier company

Government Fees:

  • Standard Adult Passport Book: $110.00
  • Standard Adult Passport Card: $30.00
  • Standard Adult Passport Book & Card: $140.00
  • Expedite Fee (if applicable):  $60.00

Complete the application:

Where to apply:

Renewing a passport is easy. You can complete the DS-82 application online or hand write the application. You can mail your documents directly to the Passport Processing Center or use a third party service to help you process documents for faster service.

Routine Passport Service:

Routine passport service takes 4-6 weeks through your post office. You may also expedite your passport renewal for three-week service for an additional fee of $60.

Post Office:

  • Pick up an application at the post office or download the application here
  • Complete application with a black ink pen only, by hand
  • Submit 1 passport photo
  • Mail DS-82 application, passport photo, expired passport or soon to be expired passport, and a check or money order.

Mail the completed application to:

National Passport Processing Center
Post Office Box 90155
Philadelphia, PA 19190

It is strongly recommended that you mail your passport application and personal documents in an envelope large enough to fit the application without folding. Please do not use a standard letter-size #10 (4 1/8″ x 9 1/2″) envelope. This will help to protect the contents of your mailing from the elements throughout the delivery process.

Expedite Passport Service:

It is possible to get your passport faster than the routine service. You can also expedite through your local post office for the additional government fee of $60.

Write “EXPEDITE” clearly on the outside of the mailing envelope. Be sure to include the required government fees for the expediting service.  Mail the completed application and documents to:

National Passport Processing Center
Post Office Box 90955
Philadelphia, PA 19190

While the Post Office offers 3-week service, that may not be fast enough if you have upcoming travel plans. You can expedite using a private passport service. A ‘Registered Passport Courier Service’ may be able to secure your passport within 1 business day if necessary.

Another option to expedite your passport is through a Regional Passport Agency.


Expedite at Regional Agency:

There are Regional Passport Agencies in many major cities across the country. You can expedite your passport at a Regional Passport Agency if you can make an appointment within 14 days of your travel date. You may call to schedule an appointment at: 877-910-7277

You will need to bring all of the required documents listed above.

Additional Requirements:

If the passport book is damaged, you will need to submit a “damage statement”explaining the circumstances of the passport damage. If the damage is too severe, the Passport Agency may reject your application for a renewal and you will need to apply for a New Passport.

Common Questions:

Q. Can I change my name to anything I want?

A. Your passport will be issued in your legal name so proof of name change is required. This will usually be a name change affidavit, marriage certificate, divorce decree, or legal documentation.