Lost Passport

New Passport
New Passport

Lost Passport Process Overview:

Did you lose your passport? Was your passport stolen? You will need to apply for a new passport and report the old passport as missing as soon as possible for security reasons.

Obtaining a replacement passport after loss or theft is much like the process you went through to obtain a new passport:

– Fill-out, but do not sign, DS-11 Application Form;
– Complete the Passport Letter of Authorization form, giving FastPort permission to process your paperwork quickly;
– Provide proof of your identity, such as a driver’s license, social security card, or voter registration card;
– Provide proof of U.S. Citizenship, such as an original birth certificate or naturalization certificate;
– Submit acceptable proof of international travel such as an official travel itinerary or plane ticket;
– Supply applicable government and acceptance agency fees.

Additionally, in order to obtain a new passport fast after discovering a loss or theft of your old passport, you must also complete and submit the Lost/Stolen Application Form DS-64. This form is essential as it reports the old passport to be missing in the event that someone attempts to use your old passport to gain access to or leave the United States.

Required Documents:

There are many required documents when applying for a first-time passport. It is imperative you have all these documents to have the successful issuance of your new passport.

  1. The primary form of identification: Preferably a valid US Driver’s license that has been issued more than 6 months from present date. Other acceptable forms of identification include valid government ID, naturalization certificate, or previous passport book.
  2. One passport photo (2” x 2”)
  3. Proof of US citizenship: These include either an original US birth certificate, certified copy of US birth certificate, original naturalization certificate, or a previously issued US passport. If you do not have these aforementioned documents, you can pay an additional fee to the U.S. Department of State for $150 and submit the File Search Form.
  4. DS-11 form: This form must be signed and dated by the applicant, in front of a federal official at an authorized passport acceptance facility.
  5. DS-64 form: This form is required for lost/ stolen replacement passport applications. It notifies the U.S. Department of State that your passport is missing.
  6. Proof of international travel should you need an expedited passport within the next 2 weeks or 30 days if a visa is required.

Government Fees:

  • Passport book only: Application fee ($110) and acceptance agency fee ($25) = $135.
  • Passport book and card: Application fee ($140) and acceptance agency fee ($25) = $165.
  • Passport card only: Application fee ($30) and acceptance agency fee ($25) = $55.
  • Expedited service at an acceptance agency or regional passport agency, an extra $60 is required.

Complete The DS-11 New Passport Application:

There are two options when trying to complete the new passport application form. You can complete the ds-11 form online with the state departments website and use the online passport wizard to create a 2D barcode application form or download a hard copy of the ds-11 application form and hand write in your information. It is advisable to go with the online passport application wizard as this may speed up your passport application

Where to Apply:

There are many options where to apply for your lost/stolen replacement passport depending on how fast you need the passport back in your possession. If you are not traveling soon, the place to go to is your local post office, county clerk or library. They are called acceptance agencies and offer routine service 4-8 week processing as well as expedited processing to speed things up a bit in 2-4 weeks depending on the time of year. If you are traveling within the next 30 days internationally you might want to visit a regional passport agency or use a 3rd party registered courier service to secure the passport much faster

Common Questions:

Q: What if my drivers license has just been issued?

A: Drivers license and a non-drivers identification need to be issued for more than 6 months in order to be accepted as primary identification. Should this be a newly issued driver’s license you will want to submit as much supplemental identification as possible. Please visit our identification page to learn more about this topic.

Q: What if I cannot locate my birth certificate?

A: Having your birth certificate is vital to having your new passport. If you cannot find your birth certificate or only have the short form birth certificate, you can pay an additional $150 and complete the File Search Form. The Passport Agency will look up your original application and use that passport application as proof of citizenship.

Q: Do I need to schedule an appointment to get a new passport?

A: You will need an appointment for all new passport applications when you appear at your local passport acceptance agency. You are also required to have a passport appointment to visit any regional passport agency if you are traveling in the next 14 days.