Passport Information

Passport Information
Passport Information

Passport Information Overview

Most foreign countries require a valid passport to enter and leave. There are some countries that allow you to enter with only a birth certificate, or with a birth certificate and driver’s license, But all persons including U.S citizens, traveling by air, will have to present a valid passport to travel internationally and to be able to reenter the U.S.

Expired Passport Information

When does your passport expire? Most countries require that your passport be valid for at least six months beyond date of your trip.

Passport Card Information

If you are traveling by land or sea, you must provide evidence of both your U.S. citizenship and your identity when you reenter the U.S. For many land or sea trips this means you can now travel using the U.S. passport card instead of the U.S. passport book.

Passport Information For Emergencies Abroad

You must make sure you have the contact information for the nearest U.S. Embassy or Consulate where you are going. Consular duty personnel are available for emergency assistance 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, at U.S. embassies, consulates, and consular agencies overseas and in Washington, D.C. If your family needs to reach you because of a emergency back in the U.S. or if they maybe worried about your welfare, they should call the office of Overseas Citizens Services in Washington, D.C.  at 1-888-407-4747 (during business hours) and 202-647-5225 (after hours). The State Department will relay the message to consular officers in the country you are at. The consular officers will locate you, pass on any urgent messages, and, if you wish, report back to your family on your welfare.

Travel Smart

  • Pack light so you can move more quickly and have a free hand just in case you need it.
  • Keep valuables to a minimum and plan ahead where you can conceal them.
  • Avoid packing ID’s, vital documents and tickets in backpacks or other places you won’t be able to see at all times.
  • Check bags and clothing to make sure you are not carrying any banned items or substances.