DS-64 Lost or Stolen Passport

DS-64 Statement regarding lost passport

DS-64 Process overview:

Use Form DS-64 to report a lost or stolen passport. A passport reported as being lost or stolen becomes invalid and can no longer be used for travel purposes. By law, any person using a lost or stolen passport to enter the United States, after it is reported on a DS-64, may be detained. This form should be submitted whenever it is necessary to report a lost of stolen passport. To obtain a form, visit any Acceptance Facility or Passport Agency. Forms can also be found online.

When filling out Form DS-64, provide complete, detailed answers to all questions. It is important to be as exact as possible. The form specifically asks how, where and on what exact date a passport was lost. An explanation about what steps were taken to locate the lost or stolen passport also needs to be included. A replacement passport may not be issued if a person fails to fully explain the circumstances regarding a lost or stolen passport.

Lost or stolen passports should be reported promptly using the DS-64, even if a replacement passport is not needed. A police report should also be filed any time a passport is stolen. Information about lost or stolen passports is entered into the Consular Lost/Stolen Passport System. Procedures regarding lost or stolen passports have been created to help protect against identity theft. If a passport reported as lost or stolen is later found, it should be returned to the US Department of State’s Consular Lost/Stolen Passport Section. The passport will be cancelled and returned to the owner or destroyed. Invalidated passports cannot be validated again, even if they are found later. A replacement passport must be obtained instead.

Those who also need to obtain a new passport will need to submit Form DS-64, along with Form DS-11 at an Acceptance Facility or Passport Agency. Someone needing a new passport to immediately replace a lost or stolen passport should make an appointment with a Regional Passport Agency. Visit the National Passport Center online to book an appointment. This type of appointment should only be made if a US passport is needed in less than two weeks for international travel or a US passport is needed to get a foreign visa.


Please refer back to lost/ Stolen passport instructions.-Your statement must detail why the previous U.S passport cannot be presented.

Government Fees:

There is no additional fee to supply this form.

Download the form:


Where to process –

Acceptance Facility- https://iafdb.travel.state.gov/

Common Questions:

Q what is i had a passport when i was a child or Baby?

A- If you are not submitting your current passport despite what age you were,you will still need to supply a DS-64 form explaining your reason for not submitting it with your application.

Q-What if this is not the first passport i have lost?

A-If more than one passport previously issued to you was lost or or stolen,your replacement passport may be limited in Validity.